What to do after you lose your job
File for Unemployment
You may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance if you are laid off. If you are unemployed for any other reason – you will need to follow a process to determine if you are eligible for benefits.
- Apply the same week you are unemployed online at the Minnesota Unemployment Insurance Information and Benefits System
- You can also use an automated phone option available in four languages:
- Twin Cities: 651-296-3644
- Great Minnesota 1-877-898-9090
- Your weekly amount will be about 50% of your average weekly wage up to a state maximum of $578 dollars.
- Seven days after you first apply for benefits you will receive a Password Notification letter which will include the password you created and instructions for requesting benefit payments
- There is a 'non-payable week', which means you will not be paid the first week you request a benefit payment.
- Make a request for benefit payment every week by going online to the Minnesota Unemployment Insurance Information and Benefits System or call the automated phone system numbers listed above.
- For additional information – read the Unemployment Insurance Information Handbook
- If you want to talk to someone…call the same numbers listed above – at some point you will be given the option to speak directly to a UI representative.